Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Live From Safety 2013: How “App”ropriate


Post From Safety 2013 Guest Blogger Steve Minshall

Apps are everywhere and Safety 2013 is no exception. I downloaded the Safety 2012 app last year but didn’t pay it much attention. For some reason my “app switch” turned on this year at Safety 2013 and I’ve found a wonderful tool.

It’s a snap to check the conference program, review session content, learn about the presenter and make my schedule. Even when I’m not absolutely sure which session to attend during a particular time slot, I can add multiple sessions and choose later. It’s all in the palm of my hand, and that makes it so, well, handy.

Another feature I discovered is the ability to see other sessions that are nearby, just in case I change my mind and want to wander to the next room. The map in the app (is Dr. Seuss cringing?) lets me see exactly where the meeting rooms are so I can easily find my way.

I used the Session Surveys feature last year and enjoyed the convenience. This year, it seems even simpler and faster. It’s a great way for the speaker and the Society to get timely feedback and possibly more of it than would be the case if the old paper forms were still in use. In the past, I recall seeing people trying to exit the room without turning in their evaluation form and trying to avoid getting the ‘ol fish eye from the session coordinator strategically placed at the exit. (Of course, I would never have been guilty of such a transgression.) I do enjoy this electronic survey method and I’m now much more likely to submit an evaluation.

Find more about the app here